Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Second Life

I have had very limited experience with Second Life previously. I did download the software at home and spent ages creating my avatar, but then lost interest very quickly after that - before I had even got out of the tutorial!! OK - I got a little freaked out by random people approaching and talking to me.
It's hard to think about how we could use this, with IT blocking access to it on campus there are obvious access and equity issues. I think it does have some potential, but I think it will be awhile before we have a large proportion of students who are comfortable enough in this virtual environment to use it as a learning tool.
We have had some students at Port Adelaide who were part of the women's ed Second Life project late last year and I would be very interested to hear how that Women's Ed project went as I know the students involved from Port Adelaide weren't your typical IT savvy young generation.
I think it may be a case of stay tuned......

No comments:

Post a Comment